This seems to be the latest lucky roll of the dice by the British calendar this year. Don’t get me wrong, the Government hasn’t suddenly decreed that Fridays and Mondays are to automatically to become part of the weekend, it’s just the way that Easter, the Bank Holidays and the Royal Wedding fell recently! After having two fantastic, action-packed 4-day weekends myself of late, I have decided to preach about the benefits of having these lengthy weekends in place, PERMANENTLY and only working Tuesday to Thursday. Here are my top 12 reasons, in no particular order:
1. If you need to spend at least one whole day cleaning and another whole day washing and ironing, then you’ll still have two full days left to do whatever the hell you want!
2. You’ll never hate Mondays ever again. Tuesday will take that bullet!
3. Your weekend will start with Hellcats on a Thursday night and finish with Glee on a Monday night. Perfect. Now that’s no coincidence.
4. You’ll only say “I can’t go drinking, it’s a school night!” 3 times a week maximum.
5. Most people eat healthily on a weekday and let loose on the weekend. Ooh, a good excuse for 4 days of takeaways, BBQs and eating out without feeling guilty!
6. You could accomplish most evening going-out activities in one weekend like cinema, a date, clubbing and even a Twenty20 match allowing you to be content with staying in and relaxing on your work nights!
7. 4-day County Championship matches could be played every weekend and you’d never miss a day because of work commitments.
8. The working week becomes approximately 24 hours (3 x 8hrs) which, when you think about it, is the equivalent of one whole working day so psychologically you’re only working a one-day week!
9. If you’re a parent then you’ve got more time to Google the answers to your child’s impossibly hard homework.
10. You could drive to Paris on the Friday, go to Euro Disney on the Saturday, tax-free shopping in Calais on Sunday morning, back Sunday night to enjoy the many cheap bottles of beer you bought and recover from your hangover all day Monday! Perfect.
11. Bank Holiday Mondays will now become Bank Holiday Tuesdays so occasionally you’ll have a 5-day weekend!
12. You could watch ‘Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring’ on Friday, ‘Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers’ on Saturday, ‘Lord of the Rings: Return of the King’ on Sunday and then spend all day Monday wondering if Hobbits really do exist!